Shana asked me for a quilt. I said no. It just didn't feel right. It seemed she could make her own quilt. As I got to know her better, she often talked about she extreme medical issues so I changed my mind.
May 11: She picked out this bear panel & I ordered it.
May 16: We met at the local quilt shop to plan the borders that will expand this 36x44 panel to a king size mattress topper 90" wide. That is a lot of border. Found a unique fabric called Moondance that takes up most of the border. We are still trying to figure out the rest of the layout..
Aug 28: Hope she is coming today to help plan & start cutting her quilt. She did but only for a little while - family crisis called her away. We got all but the outer border cut & I started adding borders. That was the only and last time she helped on the project.
Aug 29: Finished the "gold" (Moda Persimmon Tan) border & documented how I do borders.
Aug 31: Added the 3rd (black) border. Hmm. Don't have enough Moondance for mitered borders. Have barely enough for the sides, top & bottom. Need something for the corners so started playing.
Sep 01: Searched and found out I could order more Moondance but she now prefers the new complicated corners (18" blocks). Oh dear, what was I thinking? Okay, I wasn't thinking. Ordered another yard of the Moda Persimmon Tan (hey, better than 2.5 yards of the Moondance). Have plenty of the Milk Chocolate & Onyx Grunges on hand. Figured I better try to make a block & see what I have gotten myself into.
Sep 05: The ordered fabric--Moda Persimmon Tan--is here.
Dec 27: I picked up more of the Onyx Grunge I need for the pinwheels.
Dec 28: We have selected a pattern-Sashiko by Donna Kleinke. Well, I did and waited & waited until she looked at options & agreed with me. It was not her first choice (cabins & bears & such) but she came around.
Jan 03, 2018: Cut out all the pieces for the pinwheel corners. Thinking brown binding as shown above in large image.
Jan 04: Assembling the corner pinwheel blocks.
Jan 05: Finished the pinwheels.
Jan 06: Finished the quilt top. Backing is cut & pinned, ready to sew. So is the binding.
Jan 07: Backing is ready to load. Going ahead with longarming since the huge backing and quilt are prepped. Loaded ready to quilt.
Jan 08: Quilting. Binding is ready to attach.
Jan 09: Quilted.
Jan 22: Squared ready to attach binding.
Jan 23: Shana finally came by today & saw her quilt. (She comes within 2.5 miles of my home twice every weekday to drop off & pick up her fiance.) I showed her how to hand bind using a ladder stitch, She has decided to do her own binding. Good since it would take me at least 3 solid days to do it. We agreed that when she has another chance to stop by, I will attach the binding & let her take it home to finish. That never happened.
Feb 11: Unable to sleep, I got up at 3 AM and attached the binding & then delivered the quilt in person. Married yesterday so while never intended, this was just in time.
Mar 02: The events of the past week or so have driven an irreparable wedge into our former relationship such as it was. I started it when I said something to which she took immense objection. Nothing I said changed that. The end result was that she gave me back this quilt. Only today have I seen what she was doing with the binding. Removed the atrocious work & re-clipped the binding ready for hand work.
Jun 16: This quilt now has a home with a neighbor who serves our little log home community tirelessly. Thank you Tina. Now I am motivated to get to work on the binding.