May 20: First contact on Paula's "Be My Neighbor" quilt using her stash. She'll be sending this next week. Paula "Initially I wasn't even going to do it, but once I started, I couldn't wait to do the next block".
May 26: It's here! Larger & more vibrant than I expected. Very, very nice of course as expected from Paula.
Jun 01: Programmed.
Jun 18: Prepped.
Jun 19: Quilted. More pictures later. I'm hungry.
May 11: First contact about this quilt.
May 12: Donna selected Chantilly Lace like she chose for her last quilt. She asked me to choose the thread.
May 17: Quilt arrived. I've run out of places to photo an entire quilt so here is 1/4 of it. One of my most repeated partners with over 20 quilts posted here, I must say welcome back, Donna. I do believe this is an Ashley's Journey quilt layout (also a brickyard design). I choose Bottom Line Ivory for the thread & we will use Warm & White batting.
Jun 02: Loaded ready to quilt.
Jun 05: Quilting.
Shana asked me for a quilt. I said no. It just didn't feel right. It seemed she could make her own quilt. As I got to know her better, she often talked about she extreme medical issues so I changed my mind.
May 11: She picked out this bear panel & I ordered it.
May 16: We met at the local quilt shop to plan the borders that will expand this 36x44 panel to a king size mattress topper 90" wide. That is a lot of border. Found a unique fabric called Moondance that takes up most of the border. We are still trying to figure out the rest of the layout..
Aug 28: Hope she is coming today to help plan & start cutting her quilt. She did but only for a little while - family crisis called her away. We got all but the outer border cut & I started adding borders. That was the only and last time she helped on the project.
Aug 29: Finished the "gold" (Moda Persimmon Tan) border & documented how I do borders.
Aug 31: Added the 3rd (black) border. Hmm. Don't have enough Moondance for mitered borders. Have barely enough for the sides, top & bottom. Need something for the corners so started playing.
Sep 01: Searched and found out I could order more Moondance but she now prefers the new complicated corners (18" blocks). Oh dear, what was I thinking? Okay, I wasn't thinking. Ordered another yard of the Moda Persimmon Tan (hey, better than 2.5 yards of the Moondance). Have plenty of the Milk Chocolate & Onyx Grunges on hand. Figured I better try to make a block & see what I have gotten myself into.
Sep 05: The ordered fabric--Moda Persimmon Tan--is here.
Dec 27: I picked up more of the Onyx Grunge I need for the pinwheels.
Dec 28: We have selected a pattern-Sashiko by Donna Kleinke. Well, I did and waited & waited until she looked at options & agreed with me. It was not her first choice (cabins & bears & such) but she came around.
Jan 03, 2018: Cut out all the pieces for the pinwheel corners. Thinking brown binding as shown above in large image.
Jan 04: Assembling the corner pinwheel blocks.
Jan 05: Finished the pinwheels.
Jan 06: Finished the quilt top. Backing is cut & pinned, ready to sew. So is the binding.
Jan 07: Backing is ready to load. Going ahead with longarming since the huge backing and quilt are prepped. Loaded ready to quilt.
Jan 08: Quilting. Binding is ready to attach.
Jan 09: Quilted.
Jan 22: Squared ready to attach binding.
Jan 23: Shana finally came by today & saw her quilt. (She comes within 2.5 miles of my home twice every weekday to drop off & pick up her fiance.) I showed her how to hand bind using a ladder stitch, She has decided to do her own binding. Good since it would take me at least 3 solid days to do it. We agreed that when she has another chance to stop by, I will attach the binding & let her take it home to finish. That never happened.
Feb 11: Unable to sleep, I got up at 3 AM and attached the binding & then delivered the quilt in person. Married yesterday so while never intended, this was just in time.
Mar 02: The events of the past week or so have driven an irreparable wedge into our former relationship such as it was. I started it when I said something to which she took immense objection. Nothing I said changed that. The end result was that she gave me back this quilt. Only today have I seen what she was doing with the binding. Removed the atrocious work & re-clipped the binding ready for hand work.
Jun 16: This quilt now has a home with a neighbor who serves our little log home community tirelessly. Thank you Tina. Now I am motivated to get to work on the binding.
Oct 21: Binding is finished.
May 02: First Contact. This quilt is for Carol's 13 year old godson. Chatting on the phone & learning he is a big sports fan, Carol settled on Hoops for the panto.
May 08: Quilt arrived. This is feel good quilt - makes me happy.
May 19: Started prepping.
May 20: Thinking about thread. First thought was best background blender but I thinking more color where the basketballs will show on the white blocks. Carol has chosen one with blues & green. Turns out Silver Bottom Line bobbins work best with this thread.
May 21: Bobbins, programming, etc.
May 22: Prepped backing.
May 23: Loaded ready to quilt.
May 24: Quilting.
May 25: Quilted.
May 03: Quilt arrived. We spent yesterday planning the panto & settled on the overlapping version of Wrought Iron. I'm thinking Bottom Line Light Yellow will do nicely & not over power the blues.
May 13: Prepping.
May 15: Finished prepping. Loaded. Quilting.
May 17: Proving to be a challenge, I point out how difficult this was to piece. I get lost just trying to follow the design. Making progress row by row.
May 18: Quilted. It is overcast outside so I can't get a good picture of the quilting. Actually the thread blends so well, this is pretty much the way the quilt really looks. I still can't figure out how Kathy pieced this Ye Olde Forest Mystery Quilt. Very interesting design, I think.