Aug 09, 2018: Saw this pattern in the Ye Olde Forest monthly newsletter that came out today. Love it! Bought it! Played with it. Drew it. Now searching for fabrics. Turns out that is the hard part. Jun 28, 2019: Picked up fabrics at Ye Olde Forest I thought would work in a large version of this quilt. Aug 23: It has been my intention all along to make this for Munirah. Just waiting for her to accept it. Not 100% there but close. What a Day!!! Nov 09, 2020: Pre-washed & pressed the fat quarters (FQs) and background cream fabric. (The dark purple for border &/or backing is not yet pre-washed). Cut 3 inner borders. Nov 10: Need to decide which fabrics go where, cut 2.5" strips, plan the blocks. Nov 11: Still cutting strips. Found more batiks in the basement so I will have plenty. Nov 12: Pre-washing the rest of the fabrics. Strips are cut and sorted, more or less. Nov 13: Strips cut to size ready to make blocks. Gave up planning the blocks for now & sorted by fabric instead. Will group them together after sewing on the background squares. Cutting the squares from the background fabric today that form the points. After cutting them, I will draw a diagonal sew line on the back of each one. Yes, I feel overwhelmed at this point. Just need to keep going. Nov 17: Finally finished drawing all the 336 diagonal lines--288 small ones and 48 large ones. Ready to sew. Taking a break on this one & back to Lisa's Cricket Quilt. Dec 15: Resumed work on this quilt. Working on block centers. Dec 16: Finished block centers. Setup to sew first level pairs. Dec 23: Finished the 1st-3rd level pairs. Ready to make the blocks. Jan 11: Working on blocks. Jan 19: Up to row 3. Jan 20: Blocks for 4 rows done. Jan 22: Finished all blocks for the 8 rows. Jan 25: Squared the blocks.
Sep 17, 2019: Lisa & I spent several hours today exploring quilt ideas. Lisa decided ... well, scratch that. Sep 18: More brainstorming ideas. Sep 19: We both took a break. Sep 20: Back to brainstorming... I have moved our planning details to the infamous dot screen (the dot/period on the menu is not dust on your screen but a link to semi hidden playground for ideas. I is easier to use this mode than emailing. Oct 16: We started working again. Oct 18: We have a plan. I will order fabric in the morning. Oct 23: Fabrics are here - so soft. Oct 24,26: Had to play to see what I'm in for (red blocks) - a whole lot of triangles inside triangles!. Nov 03, 2020: Starting this project. Day 1. Laid out fabric combinations. Counting and recounting to be sure I have enough fat quarters (FQs). Nov 04: Day 2. Pressing the FQs. Nov 05: Day 3. Wanted to do one FQ pair to be sure I was getting it right. Immediately realized I had to cut them in thirds (size of one paper template) Process -- not hard, just time intensive.
Pin a template on the pair, right sides together.
Sew on the dotted lines.
Cut on the solid lines to make 14 triangles & 4 squares.
Repeat 1-3 for other 2 matching thirds.
Press triangles open to make a half square triangles (HST).
Remove the paper.
Trim 2 dog ears on each HST.
Place the 42 triangles & 12 squares in a baggie.
The baggie will contains 54 pieces to make 6 identical blocks.
Went ahead and cut all the 20 FQ pairs into thirds making 60 sets. Nov 06: Repeat Day 3 Process for 60 sets. Yields 20 baggies. Might take a few days. Day 4. Sewed 15 sets (5 FQ pairs). Still need to cut them apart. Nov 09: Days 5-7. Finished first 5 FQs --cutting, pressing, removing paper, trimming. Taking a break on this one. Working on another--Munirah's Sonata. Nov 18-21: Plugging along making triangle sets. Finished 9 of 21 sets. Nov 27: Finished 13 of 21 sets. 8 more to go. Nov 28: Hope to tackle the final 8 sets today but that's a lot. Nov 29: Got the last 8 sets sewn. Still need to cut the triangles apart, press, clip corners & remove paper. Dec 03: Got all the triangles cut. Dec 04: Pressing triangles into squares, clipping corners & removing paper. Dec 09: Finished with the sets. Taking a break to working on Munirah's Sonata before assembling the blocks. Jan 26: Back to this quilt making blocks. Jan 31: Finished first 2 sets and then 1 more. Asked Lisa to take over this project. Feb 16: Lisa has not responded. After a 2 week break, I am very slowly making progress. 4th set of blocks done.
May 08: Joe works at the neighborhood Dollar General. During this Covid-19 crisis, that often means double shifts and time only to sleep. This quilt is his thank you for a job well done. The retro backing is not available but hopefully will be come football season. Everything else is ordered. May 19: After waiting 10 days, Fabric.com sent an email that the black flannel was not available. A first. May 20: Ordered some Kaufman Yellow flannel hoping it might be a better match than the Citrus. Still looking for some retro fabric & notice there are shysters trying to sell small pieces for a huge price. Also ordered some black on Etsy. Jun 01-02: Pre-washed flannels. Jun 05: Cutting. Jun 07: Finished Redskins blocks. Jun 08: Working on 9-patch blocks. Jun 10: All blocks are done. Jun 11: Rows are done. Center is done. Next 3", 2" & 4" borders. Jun 12: Quilt top is done. Need backing fabric and binding. Aug 24: Ordered the backing. Not what we wanted but only option available. Sep 05: Backing is here. Sep 07: Pre-washed ready to piece. Oct 19: Make the backing. Oct 21-22: Loading. Oct 22: Programmed. Loaded. Oct 23: Quilted. Nov 01: Binding is done & thus the quilt is done.