Nov 25: Arrived today. Programmed. Not enough backing so I will add leaders to make it work.
Nov 27: Quilting.
Joan - Christmas Tree Door Hangings - 1 of 2 Quilted 11/30/2016, 2 of 2 Quilted 12/03/2016
Nov 23: Quilts arrived. I added borders to one of the quilts.
Nov 24: Needed to program these in IQ to get the density right (started out with 2 patterns). My sketch is not important as I will be tracing the quilt itself & placing the pattern(s) appropriately as I go. The only reason we are going custom is to avoid green thread on the white background & white thread on the trees, border and tree stand. Will also do a color change for the tree trunk & strip on the tree stand. Why not?
Nov 25: Redid the programming so it will quilt horizontally using just Curls.
Nov 29: Changing to a simpler meander stipping. Loaded.
Nov 30: Originally thought I would load both trees together. Decided to load just one at a time to avoid the creases inevitable with rolling the quilt. Can't do the tree in one pass...hmmm. 1st tree is quilted.
Dec 01: 2nd tree loaded ready to quilt.
Dec 02: Quilting. Got all the green thread sections done--border, tree & trim on the skirt.
Dec 03: Hope to finish today. Yep, I did.
Dec 16: And the work has only just begun. After binding, Joan has been adding buttons for hanging ornaments like the shocking shown here. Mind you, times 2 trees!
Nov 23: Quilt arrived.
Nov 25: Programmed. Silver thread. Started quilting when I spotted a huge pucker in the backing. Took everything out & started over. Quilted.
Nov 20: We still need to come up with the usual longarming details--what to quilt on it, thread & density. You know how doing the wee hours you can't get a thought out of your head? This morning it was Modern Squares like I did on Around Town. Thinking silver thread. I showed Kathy what Joan & I did on the WVU quilt. so she is considering something like that or footballs like on several of Joan's sports quilts Still TBD.
Nov 23: The fabric is here & perfectly matched.
Dec 20: Made a couple of practive y-seams & attic windows. Not too bad.
Dec 22: Got out the UNC fabric to see how the fussy cutting would go. Since fussy cutting wastes a lot of fabric, I realized I needed 2 more yards for good measure. Two yards is exactly what Fabric.com had left so I ordered it at once.
Dec 28: The rest of the fabric is here.
Dec 30-31: Prewashing.
Jan 01, 2017: Cut feature fabric squares & all strips including backing.
Jan 02: Piecing the window blocks. Done.
Jan 03: Rows are done.
Jan 04: Rows are together & thus the quilt center is done. Only the borders are left.
Jan 12: Sashing border is on.
Jan 13: Guess what? Iam not perfect...yet. I was adding the white border & got curious when I had not cut enough strips. When I checked back over everything, I found my error. I had the blocks as 10.5" which is what I was supposed to do. Instead, I did the fussy cut blocks at 10.5" to get that nice layout making the blocks 13". The quilt has grown from 50x80 to 64x93. I cut the backing way back when instead of waiting until the top was done. Of course, it is too small now. Ordered fabric for larger backing. And so it goes.
Jan 18: Quilt top finished. Using Vickie Malaski's Football pantograph with even rows offset 50%.
Jan 19: New backing is in & prewashed.
Jan 20: Backing is pieced. Ready to quilt.
Feb 04: Prepped.
Feb 05 Loading.
Feb 06: Quilted.
Feb 07: Binding is attached. Started hand work.
Feb 15: Binding is finished. The quilt is finished.
Nov 05: I picked this quilt up in Greensboro today.
Dec 02: Paula & I talked again. We are both stumped as to how to longarm this gorgeous quilt. She is in no hurry so we are patiently waiting for inspiration. Any ideas are appreciated.
Feb 15: Talked to Paula who still doesn't know what she wants. Perhaps some ruler work that she can do herself. Perhaps a block that can be repeated easily enough--I know that is custom but hey this is Paula!!! She is going to look for hex star block patterns.
Feb 16: Started a pattern search myself & sent 23 ideas to Paula.
Feb 17: Did a few kludgy overlays. Generally, Paula likes simple & not dense. Beginning to wonder where we will end up. For sure we've got to start somewhere if we are ever going to get anywhere. HA! Paula has made a decision.
Mar 23: Paula wants different color thread to match the various stars: orange, blue, yellow-green, purple.
Mar 26: I forgot that the red wire to the laser module has come loose & I cannot fix it. Ordered a replacement.
Mar 29: The laser module is here & seems to work just fine.
Apr 06: Prepped & loaded. Quilting. Photographing black quilting on black is proving to be most difficult but hey, I have the dust down pat.
Apr 07: Quilting when I can. I give up on trying to photograph the black sashing. I will just post the progress which is very slow. Perhaps I will perfect my technique & speed things along.
Apr 08: Was able to work for an hour and reached the halfway point on the sashing.
Apr 13: Quilting again. The LOBs sashing is done.
Apr 15: Got up the nerve to quilt the first 1/2 star...and then 2 more.
Apr 16: Happy Easter!
Apr 17: Watch me finish this today. I am determined. Quilted.
Apr 18: Final pictures. Going to Greensboro to hand deliver to Paula.