This quilt project has been on my Soon page a long time, in fact, the whole time my site has been up. I purchased it in August 2010. A dear friend, Pamela, is someone whose art certainly "sends me".
Furthermore, she is a dear friend. We have not met in person YET but have shared so much for a year and a half now on the phone and on RedBubble. I have been quietly waiting for her to indicate which quilt will send her to the moon! She has now declared; "I am in love with the cardinals! It just reminds me of the area here, my cardinals in the yard and the pines behind the house! Yup! I love it!" and so it is hers. I will start working on it along with everything else I have going. I love her excitement for this is indeed a beautiful set of fabrics. Top will be made from one Woodland Holiday layer cake by Moda of 42 10" squares.
June 27: Cut the into 6.5 inch squares and 3.5x10 & 6.5x3.5 inch rectangles.
June 28: Spent the day working on the layout. I put down paper towels and built the blocks on them so I can turn them, gather them up to sew or clear the bed for sleep. First I laid out the pieces with like shapes turned the same way so I could get as close to a dark, medium and light fabric in each block as possible. Next I turned the blocks to create a more.random look. Finally I swapped like fabrics until I liked what I saw. Several hours later, I came back and rearranged them some more.
June 29: The blocks are assembled but need trimming. After that they will be sewn into rows and then the rows sewn together.
June 30: The center of the top is done. Just needs borders now.
July 01: The top is finished!
July 02: I will use Dream Puff batting, Red & Green King Tut thread. The IQ pattern is posted below. The quilt is loaded and basted.
July 04: Quilted.
July 05: Binding is attached and doing the hand stitching now.
July 06: Quilt is finished!
Photograph taken by Pamela Phelps
July 12, 2011
Robin had several samples of her art work printed on fabric to see how it would do. Since we have them, I figure we may as well use them! At my daughter's suggestion, I am thinking of making them into a bell pull. Feedback welcome!
Robin has decided on using four of them. Her images on RedBubble
Yaffle - The Green Woodpecker
are far more dynamic than the fabric samples. Perhaps she needs to paint directly on the fabric. I have also heard that inkjet printing has better results.
When Robin and I started talking about quilts using her art, she offered to give or paint me whatever I chose. It turned out to be "Shanti Niketan"--her vision of me being the true spirit of my cabin. Before Framing. The letters are hammered wrought iron slightly nailed into the wood and stand out 2 inches. A local framer helped me select this one with a hammered look too. So far, I think I have come out the winner in the exchange!! BUT stay tuned! I received a call from "Kul" recently wanting to send me a sample of fabric that is perfect for dyeing or painting. I have the sample but since I am not an artist in that sense of the word, I put him in touch with RB and Robin in particular. I suspect great things are yet to happen with the vibrancy of Robin's beautiful creations.
June 18: Quilt top finished
June 19: Proposed two IQ designs & Robin has made all her selections. When the longarm is ready for use again, this will be the next one quilted.
June 21: My machine is ready & I have loaded quilt. Will longarm in the morning when not so tired!!
June 24: Finally got this little quilt longarmed but it beat me to no end. So simple yet proved to be so hard to get and keep the design aligned on the fabric. Squared and ready for binding.
June 30: Finished! Sorry that final photos are so poor.
Bought two Nature's Notebook by Moda Honey Buns (40 1.5" strips) a year ago plus borders and backing. Since I've lost my directions for finishing my sling handbags & I need backing to finish two other projects & the plaids aren't here yet, I decided to pull out this quick and easy project from the back closet. I plan to do a simple rail fence. I've already laid out the strips so now it is just sew, sew, sew.
June 16: Top Finished
July 10: Quilted, Oops! I sent Joan the fabric I needed to make binding!!
July 21: Got my binding fabric back today! LOL
Aug 25: Attached the binding so it is ready for hand binding to the back.
Oct 31: Finished binding.