Karen: I made this quilt for my husband. He is a herpetologist (from Greek "herpein" meaning "to creep"); herpetologists study and teach about reptiles and amphibians. At the moment, my husband studies salamanders in the southern Appalachians and a critically endangered frog in Mississippi called the Mississippi gopher frog. We’ve been married more than 20 years, and during that time, I have spent a lot of time helping him study salamanders and frogs.
The fabric in this quilt is frog fabric I’ve collected over the last few years. I’ve also included dragonfly fabric because dragonflies use the same habitats that many species of frogs use. I also like dragonflies – a lot. The quilt itself represents the ephemeral ponds and wetlands where many species of frogs live. These are wet areas at the interface of water and land. I chose the “wedding vine” quilting pattern because, like any marriage, ours has had its ups and downs. Also, when you’re out catching frogs, you’re often creeping through vines and underbrush.
Jun 23: First contact.
Jun 25: Selected Wedding Vine pattern. Wants Magnifico thread.
Jun 27: Quilt arrived.
Jul 07: Measured & photographed. Slight problem to work out.
Jul 24: Done. Prepping.
Jul 25: Backing is prepped ready to load.
Jul 28: Top is prepped. Took care of a slight issue.
Jul 30: Programmied. Couldn't do overlay.
Aug 01: I use PIXLR to do the overlays. For two days I have not been able to get it to work. This morning, it is back. Great online tool! So now Karen & I both know we have the density she wants. Decided on Magnifico #2138 Lakota Blue thread.
Aug 02: I am glad Karen is no hurry. Got the back loaded. The batting is cut & loaded ready to baste after I wind a slew of bobbins. My vacuum was not working so well so I took it apart and cleaned it including washing parts that required 24 hours to dry. Darn...should have cleaned up the area around the work table and longarm so I could proceed.
Aug 03: Wound most of the bobbins I will need. Everything is loaded ready to quilt.
Aug 04-06: Quilting. Finished.
Aug 07: Decided to order boxes for the super sized quilts that have dominated my work lately. Karen doesn't mind waiting so it is time.
These quilts are commissioned by my neighbors, Tina Wiggins & Denise Munday, for a set of twin beds in their cabin.
The only difference will be the backings.
Oct 2015: While working on the Grey & Grey, Please quilt ideas for Suej, I came across this fabric. Decided it was too cute to pass up so I have purchased enough fabric to make a version of my Red Flannel Quilt, a simple quilt with just three fabrics plus a backing, yet not boring. Ordered the fabrics & can only hope they will really match. If they don't, I'll use them &/or others in a different way.
Oct 07: Fabric shipped.
Oct 09: Fabric is here & everything matches.
Jun 26, 2018: My neighbor, Tina, just stopped by. She wants me to use the fabrics here to make her a pair of twin no-piece quilts.
Jun 30: Tina & Denise stopped by. Making progress.
Jul 14: Tina & Denise selected this layout over lots of other options. The quilts will be identical except for the flannel backings. Fabric not on hand is ordered.
Jul 20: All fabrics came in yesterday & today. All set to start piecing.
Aug 07: Pre-washed. Always a good idea and especially since these quilts will be used by young girls. Flannel backing shrunk a bit too so I am very glad I did this.
Aug 08: The backings are pieced ready to load. The bindings are ready to attach after quilting. The pics are awful but the best I could do. My camera has a mind of its own I can't always master.
Aug 09: Borders cut and ready to sew.
Aug 10: The women chose Acorns and Oak Leaves for the panto. I choose Bottom Line Silver thread.
Aug 11: Both quilt tops are pieced ready to load.
Aug 12: Presented a couple of overlays at 10" & 7.5" rows for consideration. First quilt is loaded ready to longarm.
Aug 14: Density is settled. Quilting. First quilt done.
Aug 15: Second quilt is loaded ready to quilt.
Aug 16: Quilting in one room, attaching binding in the other, blogging in the third.
Aug 17: 2nd quilt is quilted.
Dropped the blogging ball here but can say I was hand binding until done with both quilts.
Aug 25: 2nd quilt is bound.
Aug 26: So glad Tina asked for pictures of the binding as I had completely gone brain dead. Realized I had a lot of pictures I hadn't posted. Now posting in the Gallery.
Mar 12: I've known about this quilt by Kathy Millbrand for over 3 months. It looks way difference from the original idea of 4 patches.
Jun 20: Quilt arrived.
Jun 21: Just found the quilt outside in my rocker. Eeech! Glad it is okay.
Jul 16: Pattern is Ginger Heart. Thread is Magnifico #2003 Snow Flake (i.e. white). Batting is Warm & Plush.
Jul 17: I'll be out awhile. Finished programming so I know how many bobbins to wind. Cut the batting.
Jul 18: Prepped ready to load. Loading back, batting, top.
Jul 19: Well, I got the bobbins wound & the tension set for plush batting, batik backing, regular cotton top.
Jul 21: Loaded ready to quilt. Quilting.
Jul 22: Quilted.
Abundant Grace--Make it Purple - Pieced 07/10/2018. Quilted 09/18/2018. Bound 09/22/2018.
Just the Necessities Wallet
Abundant Grace Kit