Making two of these -- one for Joan's RWB project & this one for my dear friend, John Garland
15 Stars for JR Garland
John (JR) Garland is a treasured friend since 2005, former neighbor, published author & Vietnam veteran.
This project--and precision laser cut appliqué in general--is what most attracted me to the
Ye Olde Forest School House Event. The kit is for a 22" x 32" wall hanging--not my thing. Ah, but two kits ... hmmm ... and something to tie everything together ... hmmm. When I found the grey on black dots I was hooked on the project enlarged now to a lap quilt size. See this & other available kits here.
Let me know if you see something you like & I'll help you get it ordered.
Aug 24, 2014: Just had to play via EQ7 today with my new project. Took awhile to get something I liked.
Jul 26, 2016: With a lull in pressing longarming projects, I am going to finally try my hand at appliqué. Made the blocks (seamed the squares & ironed on theappliqués -- the easy part).
Jul 27: Have cut samples so I can practice, practice, practice (as Joan has advised) before stitching the edges.
Jul 28: Ready to sew. After 14 turtles, I should be a pro. If not, well, this is just for fun & to get a feel for the process.
Jul 29: My stitches were off so got that fixed and finished 4 more blocks.
Jul 30: Finished all the blocks. Starting on sashing.
Jul 31: Sashing is done. Now working on 18" half square triangles in the corners. Did you know that polka dots (at least the ones on this fabric) are not lined up in an evenly spaced grid pattern? Having to redo the side triangles so they will match the 1/2 square corner triangles. Can you tell I have never worked with dots before? And I don't like the way the black looks that I was going to use for an inner border to break things up a bit. I can wait for a different shade of black or stick with just dots. Hmmm. What about red? Oh, yes.
Aug 01: Ha! My daughter still has a bit of the red which is all I need so this project is on hold until I go down to Greensboro Aug 8.
Aug 03: Since, like this one, I prefer my quilts to only cover the top of the bed with no drop, I ordered a reversible two ply flannel blanket to use as a bed cover under the quilt top. Just hope it works.
Aug 08: Picked up the bit of red I need to complete the top.
Aug 10: Added 2 of 3 borders. Cut the backing, the binding and the rest of the borders.
Aug 11: Quilt top is finished. Backing is ready.
Oct 16, 2019: Gave the very heavy blanket to Marilyn.
Dec 27: Went to Greensboro to treat my family to a dinner out together. Got there early to pick up some backing for my Wall Twister quilt. Many of the solids in that quilt were from the Moda's Lady Slipper Lodge line. When I spotted a basket of 10" square remnants beautifully laser cut, I picked through them collecting about a layer cake's worth of material. (Writing this on the 30th). Yesterday at the local quilt shop, a stunning disappearing 4 patch quilt was on the wall. It's twelve 18" blocks were made from 10" patches so I think I will use my Lady's Slipper Lodge fabric that way. Mine is sized down to only six 18" blocks with a slightly modified layout. Traditionally the lights come together to make joining blocks as do the darks. With my limited fabrics, I am maintaining a light/dark alternating scheme.
Dec 30: Settled on the 4-patches I wanted & got them sewed.
Dec 31: Swapped the columns to get the tan squares away from the border. Cut the 4-patches to yield the "disappearing" act. As I sewed the pieces together, I kept getting them out of order. I found out it was impossible to set it right without tediously following photos & EQ7 renditions. Finally got the rows together.
Jan 04: Finished the quilt top.
Jan 12: Bought backing.
Apr 24: Added How To instructions.
Jul 27: Will load & start quilting before Caci gets here on Monday, Aug 7, so she can see the longarm in action. Will use Folkart Flower #4 Pantograph by Jessica Schick/Digi-Tech with tan thread to match the front & backing. Programmed IQ & did the overlay.
From Quilt Blog by Natalia Bonner & Kathleen Whiting
I have Natalia's permission to use these images here.
Dec 28, 2014: Signed up for solids. If not available, batiks version would be fine.
Dec 29: Got the solids! Yes! Paid for Month 1.
Jan 04, 2015: Joan Taylor has agreed to do the piecing so this is now a J&L project.
Feb 22: Quilt map & first 2 6" blocks
May 14: Joan is piecing a block with 93 pieces! Perhaps block 3?
Jun 07: Joan is piecing away & concerned ... I'm not.
Jul 15: Got in a stack of blocks from Joan today. Posted along with updated map.
Dec 05: Joan mailed me an envelope with some quilt blocks.
Dec 07: Expecting Joan's package, I was watching for it. Checked at 4 PM & 5 PM. Got a USPS email that it was delivered at 4:15. Called Bennie & he confirmed delivery of a brown envelope. I never got it.
Dec 17: Posted a second progress map showing what is pieced, what was stolen, what is in next's month's set & what Joan has on hand.
Mar 18, 2016: Met Joan in Wilkesboro for a quilt swap including a few more finished blocks.
Apr 07: Took inventory of what I now have in house after the last ones Joan gave me.