Sep 17, 2019: Lisa & I spent several hours today exploring quilt ideas. Lisa decided ... well, scratch that. Sep 18: More brainstorming ideas. Sep 19: We both took a break. Sep 20: Back to brainstorming... I have moved our planning details to the infamous dot screen (the dot/period on the menu is not dust on your screen but a link to semi hidden playground for ideas. I is easier to use this mode than emailing. Oct 16: We started working again. Oct 18: We have a plan. I will order fabric in the morning. Oct 23: Fabrics are here - so soft. Oct 24,26: Had to play to see what I'm in for (red blocks) - a whole lot of triangles inside triangles!. Nov 03, 2020: Starting this project. Day 1. Laid out fabric combinations. Counting and recounting to be sure I have enough fat quarters (FQs). Nov 04: Day 2. Pressing the FQs. Nov 05: Day 3. Wanted to do one FQ pair to be sure I was getting it right. Immediately realized I had to cut them in thirds (size of one paper template) Process -- not hard, just time intensive.
Pin a template on the pair, right sides together.
Sew on the dotted lines.
Cut on the solid lines to make 14 triangles & 4 squares.
Repeat 1-3 for other 2 matching thirds.
Press triangles open to make a half square triangles (HST).
Remove the paper.
Trim 2 dog ears on each HST.
Place the 42 triangles & 12 squares in a baggie.
The baggie will contains 54 pieces to make 6 identical blocks.
Went ahead and cut all the 20 FQ pairs into thirds making 60 sets. Nov 06: Repeat Day 3 Process for 60 sets. Yields 20 baggies. Might take a few days. Day 4. Sewed 15 sets (5 FQ pairs). Still need to cut them apart. Nov 09: Days 5-7. Finished first 5 FQs --cutting, pressing, removing paper, trimming. Taking a break on this one. Working on another--Munirah's Sonata. Nov 18-21: Plugging along making triangle sets. Finished 9 of 21 sets. Nov 27: Finished 13 of 21 sets. 8 more to go. Nov 28: Hope to tackle the final 8 sets today but that's a lot. Nov 29: Got the last 8 sets sewn. Still need to cut the triangles apart, press, clip corners & remove paper. Dec 03: Got all the triangles cut. Dec 04: Pressing triangles into squares, clipping corners & removing paper. Dec 09: Finished with the sets. Taking a break to working on Munirah's Sonata before assembling the blocks. Jan 26: Back to this quilt making blocks. Jan 31: Finished first 2 sets and then 1 more. Asked Lisa to take over this project. Feb 16: Lisa has not responded. After a 2 week break, I am very slowly making progress. 4th set of blocks done. Mar 08: Heard from Lisa. She is thinking 5 years before she can do anything. Got all the rows done. Now on to the the blocks with nesting seams. Mar 18: Blocks are done. Mar 20: Starting on rows. Mar 22: First 4 rows are together. Mar 24: Those 4 rows are now in one piece. Planning the layout for the second set and working on putting it together. Apr 20: First 8 rows are now together. Working on the final 4 rows. Apr 29: The quilt center is done. Whew!!!! May 04: Quilt top finished. May 08-09: Cut and started seaming the backing. May 10: Working on overlays of the 9 patterns Lisa is considering. Hope it helps give an idea of how the various options will look. Overlay components posted here. May 17: Loaded. Goofed the first start. Removed all the basting & first row of quilting. May 19: Quilting. Off to a good start this time. Facing 6.6 hours of machine quilting time. It is nearly impossible to see the quilting on the border & hard everywhere, thus the video. Give it lots of time to load. Turns out it is not my day. May 26: See my comment. Jul 24: Finished quilting, flaws and all.
Dec 12, 2016: Purchased 2 charm packs. Dec 24: Added rendition for Disappearing 4-patch Star. (MSQC) Feb 01, 2018: Added Katie Quilt Kit idea. Dec 12, 2019: Gave this project to Lisa Savitski (see Lisa's Regency Sussex Cricket Quilt)