Jan 20: Cutting all the pieces for the center of the quilt. If I enlarge the quilt, I don't have enough backing--a decision I need to make soon enough. Also short on the black so I just ordered 2 more yards.
Jan 21: Found some flannel backing I like perhaps better than what I have on hand so I ordered it. Got the 140 side black triangles sewn onto the white triangles.
Jan 22: Working on adding small lower corner squares. Finished what I had cut from 2013. Started basting pairs of blocks when Oops! I was supposed to press seams open. Took the time to go back and do that. Putting together what I have now before doing any more cutting.
Jan 23: Have everything together until I cut more. Two rows complete.
Jan 24: Back to the cutting board today, so to speak. Need 60 each of the small squares to sew onto the black & white squares. First, I went pattern hunting & posted some overlays for Dennis to consider. The squares are complete & ready to be joined into blocks...tomorrow.
Jan 25: Basted the blocks together in pairs.
Jan 28: Ready to sew those basted seams from Monday. Completed the last 30 blocks. Backing fabric came in.
Jan 29: I have terrible success using pins to match points on seams that are pressed open. I have found that Wonder Clips work great. They hold the point together until I can get the fabric just left of the needle. From there I can hold it until I get a few basting stitches in. So easy to check points after clipping and again after basting. Rows are done except for pressing.
Jan 30: After pressing & trimming the rows, I will cut and add the sashing & borders. Well, I got the sashing cut anyway.
Jan 31: The sashing is on.
Feb 01: Two borders are on. Two to go. Already the quilt top has outgrown my full size bed.
Feb 03: Third border is on. Now the black. Side borders are on.
Feb 04: Only top & bottom borders left. Dennis has chosen Lovegrass Petite for his pantograph. Spent the day doing overlays on this and another quilt. Perhaps can finish those last two borders tomorrow.
Feb 05: All borders are on & thus the quilt top is finished.
Feb 20: Pre-washed the backing making it nice and soft instead of so stiff. Cur the batting. Sampled thread types & colors--hmm, don't like what I am seeing. Squared the backing & trimmed to fit my rails only to discover when loading that I had forgotten to leave the extra 6" buffer. Well, darn. Then again, I now have plenty of backing to make a couple of large pillows or a dresser scarf.
Feb 21: Decided on Bottom Line #622 Gray. Of course I only have a partial spool & no bobbins so have just placed an order. While checking IQ for thread requirements, I tweaked the plan slightly to place the pattern just so in the borders where it will show the most. Meanwhile, I am adding 3" leaders to the sides of the backing & going ahead with loading. After that, I'll just shift gears and start cutting Pineapple Rhapsody until the thread gets here. Back & batting loaded.
Mar 13: Top is loaded. Quilting.
Mar 16: Quilted. Next is the binding.
Mar 21: Ordered black fabric for binding.
Mar 28: Made binding.
Mar 31: Attached binding.
Apr 08: Clipped the binding. Ready for hand work.
Apr 22: Working full time on the hand binding.
Apr 24: Binding is finished. And thus the quilt is finished.
Apr 25: Delivered in person.
2/7/2016 10:00:17 am
Linda, your quilt is absolutely stunning! Love it.
2/7/2016 11:26:02 am
Thanks for having the black fabric I needed to finish it!
4/1/2016 06:19:08 pm
That turned out really nicely -- what a LOT of work. More patience than I have, that's for sure.
4/1/2016 08:18:33 pm
I enjoy making a quilt for someone special. Keeps me at it no matter what it takes.
4/25/2016 05:59:29 pm
This is amazing!! I don't know how to thank you enough. You're a truly gifted quilter/artist/person!! This quilt is impeccable! I love it!
4/25/2016 06:00:02 pm
You are most welcome. It looks great in your room.
Leave a Reply.